News and Insights
Visit regularly for up-to-date information on relevant news, firm announcements and additions to our AZ Health Law Blog.
Arizona Increases Access to Unemployment Benefits for Those Facing Financial Hardship Because of COVID-19
On March 20, 2020, Governor Doug Ducey issued an executive order increasing access to unemployment benefits for those facing financial hardship because of COVID-19. 1 These resources will be applied retroactively to hardships experienced after March 11, 2020. The Arizona Department of Economic Security will begin accepting benefits applications March 23, 2020.
Unemployment insurance benefits may be available to individuals who are involuntarily unemployed as a result of COVID-19. The amount of the benefit will vary based upon the amount of money that the individual has previously earned, but will be between $187 and $240 per week.
Governor Ducey’s executive order regarding COVID-19 unemployment benefits:
- Waives the one-week waiting period after an employee loses a job before they apply for unemployment benefits
- Waives work search requirements for those receiving unemployment benefits
- Added to the list of people eligible for unemployment insurance are people who work at a business that has been temporarily closed or has reduced hours because of COVID-19, who have to quarantine because of COVID-19, or who have to care for a family member with COVID-19.
- Waives any increase in employer payments to the unemployment insurance fund for businesses whose employees receive benefits related to COVID-19
The executive order is welcome relief to both employees and employers alike. Employers will have greater ability to manage reduced staffing needs through these challenging and fluid circumstances, while employees receive some financial assistance in the form of unemployment insurance benefits. You can learn more at www.AZUI.gov.
For additional information about adapting your employment policies and practices to meet the challenges of the COVID-19 pandemic, please contact John Conley at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- The information contained in this notice was adopted from here, accessed March 22, 2020.